Saturday, August 13, 2011

Music from Ennio with Dollars more and West

I watched For a few dollars more. I was not interested in watching the movie after the viewing of A fistful of dollars. I felt Fistful was contrived and boring. I guess some of the reason was because it was an imitate of Akira's Yonjimbo.

But after I watched Once upon a time in the west, I decided to give A few dollars more a try. The motivation was the Music in Once upon a time in the west, composed by Ennio Morricone. I've watched The good, the bad, and the ugly a long time ago. I was not very impressed by the story. But the music was unforgettable. At first, it was a bit atrocious to my ears. However, I was gradually attuned to it. Watching Once upon in the west had the same effect.

And this time, Once upon in the west and Dollars more had something in common. They both had small music instruments that generated big impact for the whole movies. It was the harmonica in Once upon in the west; there was the musical chained watch. The harmonica in Once upon in the west was unpleasant when it first appeared. It was sharp, and the tune was shock and eerie. But it created such an incredible atmosphere for the final duel. It is the similar effect for the musical chained watch in Dollars more, but the music from watch created a feeling of longing and heart wrenching; harmonica was more of a mystery finally cracked emotion for the final duel that was.

And I loved the audacity of the musics in those movies. The theme song for Dollars more had whistle in it, which was so refreshing and beautiful. The theme song apart the ones from harmonica was also mellow and pleasant. The two movies were interwoven by both weird and smooth music, yet, I did not find them unfit throughout the films. I was not particularly impressed by the plot of the movies. The movies were classic, half the reason was because of the music. The other half would be the movies characters.

No comments: