Monday, August 15, 2011

Modern times--afterthoughts

I watched Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times two days ago. I think this was the first time I saw Charlie Chaplin's silent film, as a whole. I watched little pieces of Chaplin's movies before.

Modern Times was incredible. I really liked it. I felt I was watching a live Micky Mouse film. When I first saw one of Chaplin's clip, I already had that feeling. Modern Times reconfirmed it.

I loved seeing Chaplin move through space. The movements of his body and limbs were memorizing. He sometimes acted like a clown, sometimes like a dancer. Chaplin used his body language to do what Jim Carey did in The Mask. Amazing.

The background of the story was incredibly interesting as well. It was a time when labor movements were rising amidst the Great Depression in USA. The more I knew about the period, the more I felt that USA was completely different from today. At least, the presentation of the world is vastly variant.

I think this is a must see for any film enthusiast.

No comments: