Sunday, August 07, 2011

Doctor Zhivago

I watched Doctor Zhivago last night. It was long. But it was a true epic. The sense of space and time was incredible. Truely amazing. After Lawrence of Arabia and this movie, I can see that the director David Lean loved grand scale and was very capable to mix the grand scale with time. The space and time created a sense of history. And to me, history was what this movie all about.

The movie was so grand that I still could not makeup my mind about it, except its scale and historical senses. The film was very much focused on the Romance between Doctor Zhivago and Lara, his mistress and lover. But I kept thinking how could Doctor Zhivago do this to his wife. And this thoughts interfered me to enjoy the romantic part of the movie. I do understand Doctor Zhivago went through though. The romantic plot was the main focus of the film, my failure to feel for that part of the movie made the movie less interesting to me.

I was very interested in the other parts of the movies, the supporting cast, the music, the revolution, and the result of the revolution. But this makes me feel sad. Because I felt I kept judging movie protagonist by right or wrong, rather than feeling for him. It was kind sad.

No comments: