Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Taras Bulba 2009

It's a movie about Zaporizhia Cossack. Zaporizhia is situated in now Ukraine. The story was about Zaporizhia Cossack's stuggle with Poland in 16th century. The main actor were interesting, a very flavorful character. The story was okay. If only they could left out all the Russian Patriotic yelling and fanatic religious words, this could be an okay movie.

I searched the background a little. I can probably understand the fanatic religious words in the historical context. But I do not understand the Russian Patriotic yelling...

I was moved by the death scene of Taras Bulba's elder son. But I felt the other things in the movie were murmuring of unimportance. The battle scenes were okay, nothing fancy. I'd imagined that many of the problems stemmed from me not knowing the historical context. Although that was the case, the movie suffered a great deal without a real bad guy. I mean I understand the movie needed to paint Poles as the evil here, but the Poles really did not do anything for that portrayal. The only real act I saw from Poles, was the execution of Taras Bulba's elder son. However, brutality was universal to almost every cultures at the time, to my understanding. I could not hold that against Poles. And without a real enemy on the screen, the movie suffered.

The main character was flavorful. But all the patriotic yelling really does not help... The final scene where Taras Bulba went back for his smoke pipe which caused him being caught and consequently death was stupid and anti-climate!

This movie was sad.

No comments: