Monday, June 20, 2011

A review about Hanna

I watched Hanna last night. I was looking forward to watch it since it had a very pretty young actress, plus actors like Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, and a mysterious setting. At the end, I did not think it was a great movie. It is ok. There was only one scene that impressed me. It was towards the end, when Eric Bana's character trying to distract attention from Hanna, he killed the bad guys and got himself killed too.

But I was wondering why this was not an attractive experience to me. Sure, I could read through the very thin plotline. The action sequence were weak to my taste until the last Eric Bana scene. I did not understand each character's goal. I think the most important is the last reason. I did not know each characters' goal and I blamed that on the plot. The plot was very thin, and the background info was very lacking. I had to look up online to understand how come Blanchett's character wanted to kill Eric Bana's party at the first place.

The movie did not specify a destination for Hanna after her first attempt on the kill. And the lack of emotion on her part created another confusion as well. Hanna's character development was very thin too. Besides this mysterious goal of assassination, what else did she actually do to develop her character? While escaping from the US Moroccan base, Hanna experienced all the modern technology, courted a friendship. But I did not see a connection between her and all before mentioned. And as it went on, it seemed that she knew there's a danger. So does the audience. But since I know there won't be any real danger for her. I did not feel the urgency of the chase. To make matter worse was that, Hanna was not really emotional outwardly towards the friendship. At the end, those who took care of her, all got slain. The movie only passed over these and then focused on Hanna again. But there was no sign on Hanna's reflection on all those things. At least, I did not notice it. I think I had the most problem with a unemotional character... lol

This is one of those that trailer is good, but movie is not so good. The plot was thinly developed. It seemed to me that the script jotted down a sentence, "a girl trained in dead art in a remote area, sent to kill an CIA agent for vengeance." Okay, let's make a movie! After that sentence, I feelt it was all improv...

No comments: