Thursday, June 23, 2011

conversation

The coached said: "Okay, I'll tell you what you need to get into varsity. But before I even begin, I need to remind you that you are really too short. Although you do have excellent ability to jump, this actually is a risk for you."

Jack said: "Huh? Why?"

The coached said: "Very simple, jumping always involved a risk of landing."

Jack said: "Ah, I see."

The coached said: "Yes. But I will still give you the things that might get you into varsity."

Jack said: "Thank, coach."

The coached said: "First, you are too skinny. You need a bit more muscle so nobody could push you around easily. Second, it is a high school game. When we are in transition, I don't see much problem with you. But when we are in a zone, consistent outside shot is the most valuable thing."

Jack said: "Really? But I thought getting inside, being aggressive is all you teach us."

The coach said: "Yes. That is the most important thing in the game. However, without outside shot, it is going to be a grind inside the paint. Three pointers creates hole in the zone defense, in transitions, and in man to man as well. Outside jumpers did the same thing. However, three pointers have the advantage of stretching zones."

Jack said: "I see. That is my weakest game."

The coached said: "Yes, it maybe so. But practice can make it perfect."

Jack said: "How about dribbling and passing?"

The coached said: "As for you, dribbling and passing is basic since you are short. But as for a high school game. I think your present ability is good enough. It is hardly seeing a guy who could penetrate with awesome dribbling in a zone defense. Sometimes it does happen. But rare."

Jack said: "I see. what else?"

The coached said: "Since you are short, you will be the pg. You will need to run a lot. Let's just said, you need to have the best stamina and endurance on the team."

Jack said: "My gosh, this is a long list."

The coached said: "Yes, and even if you improve all these things. It is not guarantee that you will be picked for the varsity. The composition of the team is a good factor when choosing similar players."

Jack: "Thanks, coach. I will try to improve all the things you said. And hopefully, I will grow an inch or two next year..."

No comments: