Friday, May 01, 2020

Coco afterthrought

I re-watched Coco for the third time.  I can never forget the last scene of the movie. 

This time I watched it twice in succession.  I enjoyed a lot more and suddenly realized the song, "Remember me" was sung from the beginning to the end!  It is a wonderful discovery!  I am trying to think other movies with such clever way of portraying same song in different ways.  Sound of music came to mind, but it's a bit different level.  Here in Coco, a lullaby was transformed into a Pop music in a grandiose sense.  But later, when it was sung for its original purpose.  The song was suddenly brought to life, in a way that's soft and hearty with a caressing touch.  I really wish I could sing the song.  I tried a few times.  I can still manage to feel its original spirit first few tries.  But if I tried too hard, the pop version would come out.  It was hilarious. But also proves that for art to be real, practicing too hard, might not get the right results, because the spontaneous would be lost, robotic repetition would set in. 

And while I was watching the movie, I can't stop smiling.  Because Jose showed Vic and I a stand up comedy on youtube about South American grandma.  The movie's abuela really reminded me of that comedy in someway. 

The transformation of protagonist was amazing to watch too.  The art in the movie was gorgeous!  The movie itself shows strong vitality and its filial value with a triumph. 

---------------------------------------

Sadly, I can only watch this movie by myself.  My family cannot watch it with me. 

No comments: