Saturday, January 22, 2022

星期四謀殺俱樂部 讀後感

I finished a fiction last night, it's called Thethursday murder club.  I thought it was oaky.  A very easy read, interesting setups but not really that good.  

I thought the characters of retired elderly is very interesting.  If I only look at that aspect, I'd say the book is pretty good.  I think the description for the elderly well written, and the characters although elderly, emitted energy and life.  And the stories did not shy away from the impact of loss of loved ones, suicide, and many other conditions.  For that aspect, I thought it is not bad.  

It's a very read, each chapter was short, and pretty easy to follow.  But I thought the plot is manipulative.  I understand a fiction is a story crafted by the author.  But a good story will bring me into its world and forget about the manipulation.  This one however could not.  There are twists and turns of course, but I do not feel satisfied them.  A rather naïveté attempt to add so many layers, but those layers did not add depth.  

Don't get me started on the relationship between the police and the club.  Overall, it's just an okay past time.  Although I still like the description of the elderly quite a bit.   I feel it's a good setup and where a good story could bring surprise to audience.  But not this one.   


A couple quotes I liked from the book:

"In life you need to have learn to count the good days.  You have to tuck them in your pocket and carry them around with you."  (TheThursday Murder Club, P 85)


"...always acted quickly and decisively.  Which is a fine quality when you are right, but a liability when you are wrong.  It's great to be the fastest runner, but not when you are running in the wrong direction."  (TheThursday Murder Club, P. 125)

I feel the quotes are similar to something I read again and again, but it's worded nicely.  So here they are.  


No comments: