Sunday, January 01, 2012

quotes from la grande illusion

Capt. von Rauffenstein: Let me tell you something... Believe me, My present functions revolt me as much as they do you.
Capt. de Boeldieu: That's being harsh.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: I used to be a combatant. Now I'm a bereaucrat, a policeman. But it's the only way I can still appear to be serving my fatherland. I have burns all over... That explains my gloves. My spine is fractured in two places. A silver plate, in my kneecap, too. I owe these riches to he misfortunes of war.
Capt. de Boeldieu: May I ask you a question?
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Of course.
Capt. de Boeldieu: Why did you make an exception of me by inviting me here?
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Because your name is Boeldieu, career officer in the French Army. And I am Rauffenstein, career officer in the Imperial German Army.
Capt. de Boeldieu: But my comrades are officers as well.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: A 'Maréchal' and 'Rosenthal,' officers?
Capt. de Boeldieu: They're fine soldiers.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Charming legacy of the French Revolution.
Capt. de Boeldieu: Neither you nor I can stop the march of time.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Boldieu, I don't know who will win this war, but whatever the outcome, it will mean the end of the Rauffensteins and the Boeldieus.
Capt. de Boeldieu: We're no longer needed.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Isn't that a pity?
Capt. de Boeldieu: Perhaps.

-------------------------


Capt. von Rauffenstein: Forgive me.
Capt. de Boeldieu: I would have done the same. French or German, duty is duty.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Are you in pain?
Capt. de Boeldieu: I didn't think a bullet in the stomach hurt so much.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: I aimed at your legs.
Capt. de Boeldieu: It was 500 feet, with poor visibility... Besides, I was running.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: Please, no excuses. I was clumsy.
Capt. de Boeldieu: I'm not the one to be pitied. For me it will be all be over...soon. But you'll have to carry on. Carry on a futile existence. For a commoner, dying in a war is a tragedy. But for you and me, it's a good way out.
Capt. von Rauffenstein: I missed my chance.


-------------------------


I got into war in a funny way.
I became a solider because I am a vegetarian

-------------------------

Le lieutenant Rosenthal : I caught it with a brunette.
Le lieutenant Maréchal: Who can you trust?
Le lieutenant Rosenthal : A friend of my mother's. Quite a respectable. She did charity work.
Le lieutenant Maréchal: In good society it's usually the pox. Right, Boeldieu?
Le captaine de Boeldieu : The pox used to be our privilege. But we've lost it. Like so many others. Everything is popularized. Cancer and aren't working-class diseases. But they will be, believe.
Le lieutenant Rosenthal: How about intellectuals?
Someone : With us it's tuberculosis.
Le lieutenant Maréchal: Here's Mr. Pindar.
Le lieutenant Maréchal: And the middle class?
Le lieutenant Rosenthal: Liver and intestinal ailments... They eat too much. We'd each die of our own class diseases. If war didn't make all germs equal.

-----------------------------

No comments: