Sunday, January 08, 2012

movie quotes

Jane Eyre, a 2011 movie.

Mr. Rochester: You gaze is very direct. Do you think I am handsome?
Jane Eyre: No, Sir.
Mr. Rochester: What fault do you find with me? I have all my limbs and features.
Jane Eyre: I beg your pardon, sir. I ought to have replied that beauty is of no little consequence.

*They stared at each other for 1 second.

Mr. Rochester: You are blushing, Miss Eyre. And though you're not pretty any more than I am handsome, I must say it becomes you.

*Jane stared down the rug.


-------------------------------------------------


Mr. Rochester: As for you, you'd forget me.
Jane Eyre: How? I have lived a full life here. I have not be trampled on, I have not been petrified. I have not been excluded from every glimpse of what is bright. I have known you, Mr. Rochester, and it strikes me with anguish to be torn from you.
Mr. Rochester: Then why must you leave?
Jane Eyre: Because of your wife!
Mr. Rochester: I have no wife.
Jane Eyre: But you are to be married.
Mr. Rochester: Jane, you must stay.
Jane Eyre: And become nothing to you? Am I a machine without feelings? Do you think that because I am poor, obscure, plain and little, that I am soulless and heartless? I have as much soul as you and full as much heart. And if God had blessed me with beauty and wealth, I could make it as hard for you to leave me as it is for I to leave you. I am not speaking to you through mortal flesh. It is my spirit that addresses your spirit, as if we'd pass through the grave and stood at God's feet, equal, as we are.
Mr. Rochester: As we are.
Jane Eyre: I am a free human being with an independent will, which I now exert to leave you.
Mr. Rochester: Then let your will decide your destiny. I offer you my hand, my heart. Jane, I ask you to pass through life at my side. You are my equal and my likeness. Will you marry me?
Jane Eyre: Are you mocking me?
Rochester: You doubt me.
Jane Eyre: Entirely! Your bride is Miss Ingram.
Rochester: Miss Ingram. She is the machine without feelings. It's you. You rare, unearthly thing. Poor and obscure as you are, please accept me as your husband. I must have you for my own.
Jane Eyre: You wish me to be your wife?
Rochester: I swear it.
...

-------------------------------------------

No comments: