Friday, July 13, 2018

Afterthought: Shape of Water

I was excited to watch the film  I was kind pushed by George.  I am glad I got...encouraged. 

I thought it was alright, the movie started out like a standard fairy tale.  However, every visual was so grounded, so solid.   I watched until about half then went to bed.  I finished the next afternoon, which was yesterday.  The ending stroke me with big bat like a savage!  Truly a great love poem!  I can't believe the director really wrote a poem using sound, sight, and dialogues!  Every character was well realized and acted!  I felt like I was watching into an aquarium!  And it was mesmerizing!

I felt the music was french.  And it painted a very unique atmosphere.  Sort of delicate, but dreamy quality.  There were intense moment but never spiraled down to violence.   And for such a movie, you need a evil guy.   Michael Shannon nailed it!  He always nailed bad guy in my memory.

The ending was weird, it really hit hard.  I don't know why.  I don't want to say, but Sally Hawkins wasn't pretty here or anywhere in my memory.  But the expression was deep and beautiful!  Sally is awesome! 

I love poems from films.  And this one has one too:

Unable to perceive the shape of you
I find you all around me
Your presence fills my eyes with your love
It humbles my heart
For you are everywhere

I searched the poem online.  The first link I clicked on, a awesome article showed up! 

Who wrote the poem at the end of Shape of Water?
(https://blogs.loc.gov/catbird/2018/03/who-wrote-the-poem-at-the-end-of-the-shape-of-water/)


I recommend to take a look at the article.  I did not know there is this kind of job, where you search for poems for other people.  And it is so interesting to see other people have the same kind of interest as me too.  I am quite certain that this poem is from a book called, The Book of Everything: Journey of the Heart's Desire: Hakim Sanai’s Walled Garden of Truth.  Thanks to the article!!  

No comments: