Friday, June 29, 2018

How to improve my interview

I just had two interviews in a week.  But the results were unsatisfactory.  I didn't show too much enthusiastic in the first one, I was spooked by the second one.  I did not approach the interviews thoroughly with role play, or searching questions and preparing answers.  The only thing I did was searching through their web sites.  This helped me a bit on understanding the company.  But it did not help me on answering questions and change my attitude.

My attitude for going into these interviews was that I know how a warehouse operated, from order picking to preparing pallets; from receiving and notifying the receiver to inventory counting.   Mascon is not big, so I learned a lot from it.  I learned what is a lot number, PO, Bar code, and other things.  But if knowing these made my attitude lethargic or pensive, then it's all for nothing.  Uncle and Aunt came by today and said that even if you are not interested in, you need to pretend the opposite.  My mom also commented after I came from these interviews, I looked distant and quiet.  She also guessed that I was probably not as engaged as I should be.  I was fully aware the situation at the end of the interview on Monday, the Ocular one.  Although I felt I said what I want to, but a lack of enthusiasm was visible.

I was really surprised by my second interview although my spirit was better.  I got up early and looked through the job description again, and googled again for those cGMT, 5S, ISO terms.  I also put the interviewers name and company address on my cell the night before.  And this time I brought my resume with me.   But the job was for hazard material.  I did not expect the scales.  The team lead met me first.  He immediately pointed out how dangerous the job was.  I felt that I still remain  nonchalant. But apparently, my perceived self was not accurate.  Because he must sensed I was agitated and said, there were people who were able to do the job, but decided not to,  after seeing the danger.  The second interviewer was the manager, who showed me around the warehouse.  It was quite magnificent.  White floor, white wall, sparkling shining.  There's even a room filled with just oxidation agent.  The room was designed specially for the purpose.  It has a gate and a malt, so it will contain the liquid and shut everything in in the event of spillage!  I think the manager was waiting for me to say that's it for me.  But I did not say it.  So he asked if I had any questions.  I asked about the vocation, if I need to work the weekend.  Then I was out of there.

Now the first question I wan to ask myself is that should I keep looking for warehouse job.  When one of the first interviewer asked me what do I see myself in five years.  I don't remember what I answered.  But I knew the only thing I wanted to say was that I am capable of doing the job, stop asking those irrelevant questions, I am just looking for a pay check.  That's very sad.  Uncle said it sounded like I felt I am stuck in this line of work.  So do I still want to do warehouse?  If I did not do warehouse, and I kept apply for other kinds of job, but received no replies.  What should I do?

There's one question my mother keeps bothering me about.  It asks me about why do I leave my last post.  I usually tell them, because I needed a month off for the next 2 years for personal reason, but my last company did not want to give to me.  So I quit.  But my mom thinks it's a ridiculous reason.  So my sister came up with another reason.  Saying that I am a hard worker.  But I focused on getting job done.  But I kind have a communication issues.  So when my co-workers' constant absence from work, and left me with 3 people job.  I talked to the management with no result.  For my own mental and physical health, I quit my job.  Aunt said it's not a good answer either, if it's not worse.  Because you basically blamed your co-workers.  She said the best way to say is that you leave for growth.  I am not sure I said what my sister meant it.  I felt it sounded better from her mouth.  I am not sure Aunt's words would sound the same from me.

That one question still remains though.  I want a job.  It's that simple. Any job would do?  I am not sure.  What is the goal for the job?  Money, of course.  Then does it matter which job?  A yes seemed to be a natural answer here.  But it's not.  So do I still want warehouse? 

No comments: