Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A/C problem

I had A/C problem with Honda Element.  Vic helped me once to fill my old Mazda Protege with A/C refrigerant once. So I got one from Advanced Auto.  I watched videos from Youtube and read the instruction that came with the bottle.  Then I proceed to solve my problem two days ago. 

I turned the car on, put A/C to max.  I looked for compressor first.  I can't find it.  I did not know which one was compressor.  So I gave up the idea.  I took the refrigerant meter off the bottle and put it on the low port to measure how many refrigerant had left in my system.  The needle stopped at red zone!  I was aghasted!  Because, from the research, it means my compressor was not working.  I went under my steering wheel to locate the fuse box.  In the hope that it could be a fuse problem.  Alright, I had to abandon the project and look for Mike tomorrow.  I went online and searched the cost to replace compressor, 500 for labor, 500 for parts...  Aghast! 

I went to Mike around 830 AM.  Mike has hired a new employee, named Mike as well.  I guess the garage can be called Mike'n Mike now.  :p 

I was scheduled to put undercoat for my car.  Mike raised the car and walked me through the process.  I started to do all the work, I really liked the hands on experience.  I scrubbed with the wire brush, then I coated the under parts.   After that I told him the A/C problem.   I was scared.  Mike like he always does, first test if I had refrigerant in my system.  Ooh, I had it, might be plenty too!  Then He test something I never thought of.  He located the compressor, which is right under my eyes.  Then he used a long flat head screw driver to flicker the moving part of the compressor.  It moved!  He told me, the compressor could be ok!  Then he checked the fuse box, at the engine bay, not the one under the steering wheel.  And voila, there the A/C sign showed up, in fact, it's a relay, not a fuse.  He switched the A/C relay with the horn.  Then magically, the compressor started to whine, and cold air rushed right out! 

I am thrilled!!!  

No comments: