Monday, June 03, 2013

書摘

It is a book I am reading now.  The book is called, what it is like to go to war by Karl Marlantes.  I saw the author on Kotaku, it was talking about how video game and other medias could desensitize kids. And how parents are responsible to guide kids how feel about violence. 

I came across an interesting excerpt about how to motivate people to go to war.  The author was talking about guilt and how to lessen it.  He related a story from Indian Epic, Mahabharata, in which an Arjuna, a human warrior, and Krishna, a god who has taken the human form of Arjuna's charioteer.  The writing was written in the form of poetic dialogue called the Bhagavad Gita.  It's a very good example about people are willing to fight for what they think is righteous.  But author also warned that although it might help alleviate guilt and doubt, but it would lead people to believe themselves be righteous. 

-------------------

Arjuna cast his eyes on the grand spectacle.  He saw the heroes ready for battle, and he saw there all those who were dear to him.  They were grandfathers, teachers, uncles, brothers, sons, dear friends, comrades.  he was overcome with compassion for all of them.  His voice shook with grief and he said, "Krishna, I feel an awful weakness stealing over me...Krishna, my head is reeling and I feel faint.  My limbs refuse to bear me up...I look at all these who are my kinsmen and I feel that I cannot fight with them...I do not want to win this war...For the passion pleasure of ruling this world why should I kill the sons of Dhritarashtra?  They have been greedy, evil, avaricious, covetous.  I grant all that.  But the fact remains that they are my cousins and it is a sin to kill one's own kinsmen.  I would rather turn away from the war. It will even be better if I am killed by Duryodhana.  I do not want to fight."  Arjuna collapsed on the seat of his chariot.  He had thrown away his bow and arrows and was overcome by grief. 

At first Krishna tries to buck up Arjuna by appealing to his reason, explaining how critical the situation is.  This fails. Then he appeals to pride, chiding Arjuna fro letting his feelings get the better of him.  This fails too.  Finally, Krishna taunts Arjuna about his manhood...Arjuna is not swayed. 

"How can I aim my arrows at Bhishma and Drona?"  Arjuna asks Krishna. "I cannot do it.  Krishna, you know that I am not a coward.  This is not weakness.  It is compassion for the enemy."  Arjuna sat silent, refusing to fight.  ...Krishna presses forward, this time appealing to religion...the same effect on Arjuna...none.  Krishna finally...appeals to the fact that we humans are caught in existence and we must make choices.  That is, when we are confronted by the very real existence of forces for good or for evil, we must choose sides.  Krishna states in the Mahabharata, "It is not right to stand by and watch injustice being done.  There are times when active interference is necessary."*    ...Krishna tells Arjuna that there are two paths to realization, the path of knowledge by meditation and the path of work for men of action.  These same two paths are identical to those portrayed in our Western mythology, for example the story of the knight of Parzival, which is part of the Grail legend. 

Krishna says to Arjuna: "Remember, no man can be still, even for a moment.  He has to do work.  It is a law of nature that man should work...By not working you cannot live.  Even the bodily functions need work to sustain them. 
"How then can one escape the bondage of work?  By performing a sacrifice for the general good.  That is the secret of work well done.  Work should be done so that others may benefit by it and not you.  Dedicate al lthe work to me, and fight."  

-------------------------

Mythology tells truth by disguising the complexion. 

No comments: