Thursday, June 13, 2013

Random thoughts

First, I want to say that I don't like the my first writing about he book, the Tiger: a true story of vengeance and survival.  It was dry, and it was clearly forced.  I should finished it with the second paragraph. 

I kept thinking about the question of why I love the book so much and yet, I could not really write much about it.  I should ask myself, did I really like the book?  If I did not, then I should stop worrying about it.  But if I did, then what's wrong with me?  I like the book!  There's no doubt about it.  Then why did I just described the things that I read in the book, but I could not express how it interested me.  Every time I think of such question, something was gnawing me.  I felt very uneasy right this moment...  lol 

A good story always pull me into their world.  This book did just that.  And yet, it's not a fantasy story, it was based in reality.  A tiger was deviated from its normal behavior, and devoured two people in a deviated way.  The story of catching it was another incredible encounter.  And yet, here again, I am describing fact, rather than how and what I felt.  What did the story give me?  The feeling is so close at hand, yet it is not. 

------------------------------------

I read another book, called what it is like to go to war.  I saw the author was talking about video media's violence, how it would affect kids, and how parents are responsible to guide kids through violence on tv, video games, or movies...etc. 

The book left quite an impression on me.  I cannot use one word to describe the book, but machoism does jump out of my head right at this moment.  However, it is not a fair words for the book.  I think I use the word because I agree with him on that, as society advance in culture, it has a need to tone down the aggression.  And yet, aggression would never be able to disappear, or even tone down truly.  By attempting to tone the aggression, we rather make people passive.  But passive is aggression's sleep, and during sleep, we as human, could not really learn to deal with aggression.  When aggression woke up, it is a volcano in the rising, and there's no stopping it.  Either that, or I would even say, aggression will disguise itself in another form, some of the cruelist culture practice might be viewed as aggression in disguise?  This is just my guess.  I think I will need to read that book by konrad lorenz, on aggression. 

I like the  book a lot, because it does not disguise itself.  And I felt the arthur was struggling through his post war years to find meaning of his vietnam experience.  It is very interesting to find him coming to term with himself, and realized he will go to war for the love of his folks at home.  He did not abandon aggresion, but tempting to use rationality and training to curb it, to channel it.  Although I think that his attempt is going to fail.  But I like his conviction, I felt it is a very universal value to all humanity.  It would encourage bravery, and honesty, and love. 

No comments: