Sunday, March 28, 2021

Actions in an action adventure video game

 There are some basic actions in every single action adventure video games, let me brain storm a little:

  • Moving from point A to point B.
  • Ability to look around
  • Interact with Objects in the game
  • Interact with PC controlled characters
  • Combat
  • Puzzle solving
  • Platforming
  • Quicktime event
I think the list below is essential,:

  • Moving point A to point B
  • Combat
  • Puzzle
  • Interaction
  • Looking around
Many of actions are designed with a combination of couple or more of the elements above.  My mind was mostly on 3D games, so Looking around was there.  Otherwise the classic 2D games usually don't involve this action.  

Let's use classic Mario for an example.  What actions can be performed in that game?  

  • Moving from point A to point B:  running forward, jumping up and down.  The screen itself will move forward by itself.  
  • Combat: jumping on top of the enemies, or wear a temporary power suit, or throwing stuff at them temporarily, puzzle solving, involved with platforming.
  • Puzzle: solve them mostly by trial and error, and jumping, lots of jumping and practicing your timing skills.
  • Interaction: combat, puzzle solving, jumping, what else?  
  • Looking around, it's a 2D game, no need to look around, unlike metroid...
If I use assassin's creed, I think it would be more appropriate.  My point was an old one, I think I must expressed in some of my old writings.  Moving from point A to point B is very boring in most of the 3D games.  I was watching my cousin playing the latest assassin creed, the combat does not look fun, the long distance travel was very boring.  The only thing looks worth trying was the platforming, but even that would be dull at the end.  Because there's not purpose, not sense of urgency, or secrecy.  I also watched a bit of ghost of tsunami, it's basically the same game, but combat is more involved, but traveling from point A to point B was boring as well.  This trend has been like this since the day I played Gothic I and II.  In fact, I'd say Gothic looked more fun than the latest AC.  

The designer knew that traveling was boring, so they designed quick access points.  But still, why?  It's been how many years in between I actually played a game like gothic?  And yet, the traveling is still pointless.  Why create a huge world and there's nothing in there?  One of my favorite game was blade of darkness severance, there's basically no traveling.  lol  you load into different level, the only point A and point B is the beginning and end of the level.  

A design decision of creating a huge world for traveling does not make sense to me except for creators to claim they create world.  This is fame seeking, not game design.  If the wide big world serve a purpose, and players have to travel vast area for quite sometimes, with purposes, then I'd say for it.  Otherwise. a waste of time, money, and energy.  They could use those extra resource to create cheaper games, experiment games, that serves different types of crowds.  Bigger does not always mean better.  

Even though Ghost of tsunami looks really awesome, I still question the reason for such a big world and yet, not much to do but go to point A and point B to kill and collect.  The designers could just create different levels.  Like the old bushido blade.  The world itself has to serve a purpose, it has to run something vividly and propel the characters into actions.  I could just ride a broom in my kitchen and has the same effect or better effect than in the game!  

All those rant...  Stupid me.  

No comments: