Tuesday, June 09, 2020

老房子

I watched a few Old House video today.  One was about patchy lawn, another one about how to prevent ice dams, another one about whole house energy audit, and the last one was how to fix a crack in the concrete foundation.  

I suddenly see this show as an important and integral part of the whole construction industry.  The show is mainly educational.  But while they demonstrate many how to's, explain the process, and industrial standard, they also let common people feel empowered to do it by themselves.  And they showed people what option they have if they want to find  contractor.  Like the one with crack in concrete foundation, I was amazed on new industrial inventions; and the ones in whole house audit, it showed off the infra light camera to discern the cold and hot space within a wall, and the low pressure test?  I mean we had energy guys came in to do the work, but they did not use low pressure test.  That would be way cool...  

I will recorded what I saw today about lawn:

1. They used a thatcher on one lawn, but not on a new lawn, the guy said it can wait for another 3 years before using a thatcher machine.  

2. They used a  core aerator machine to pull plugs of soil out of the lawn, so the water, air, and nutrients are easier to go into the soil.  

3. Then in order to improve the soil, the guy always used compost.  He throw the compost on the lawn directly all over the place, then use the back of the rake to flatten the compost.  He said to put half to one inch of compost.  

4. Then he used a high phosphorus fertilizer to promote the roots growth.  Phosphorus promotes root growth, the nitrogen promotes upper, grass blade growth.  The best time to do the seeding is fall.  Summer is too hot, disturbing the soil too much, it will dry out.  And then your seeds need to compete with Crab grass and other weeds.  

5.  Rye grass is more shade tolerate.  Blue grass is sun tolerated.  

Oh, and I also watched crab apple tree pruning and how to deal with ants.  

Tomorrow, I am going to cut my yews, it was infested with mealy bugs to the point, they are on my lawn as well.  My strategy is to do extreme cutting, it's going to be ugly and the tree might die during the summer...  But I don't want to do the spray thing...  If all fails, I'll have to cut my yews down.  Then my front house would be bare...  




No comments: