Sunday, November 04, 2012

story from asylum: a man dancing with a stick

when i was a boy, I wanted to learn to do ball room dancing.  There's a couple, who were friends of my uncle, they knew how to dance.  I asked them to teach me.  So they gladly and graciously allowed it.  But there's a problem, I did not have a partner.  I was a shy boy then, just as a shy as I am now.  I was standing in their kitchen, I turned around and found a broom next to the refrigerator.  I said, with a murmur, can I use this broom?  It was weird.  But weird was I always.  They kindly accept the offer.  Every Tuesday night, 7-8, I went to their house, standing upright in the mid of their basement.  They would turn on the appropriate music, they dance with each other, me the broom.  It was extremely awkward.  But not without innovations of our own.  They tried to use two brooms to teach me first.  One broom was horizontal, it was used to correct and maintain my posture.  You need to stand upright!  You need to stand facing your partners, not looking down at you toes.  The other broom post as my partner.  But first, my partner and I were not a duo.  It's just a broom and I, vertically impossible.  Hold out your arm, put another one at the pretended waist.  Now, position your feet, maintain your posture.  I remembered those words.  Those words were Bible to me, but nauseating to me feet.  Hush!  Slow down!  Do not Rush!  Let the music went through you!  Be one with Rhythm.  As time washed by the music.  I learned my lesson, I possessed the craft of upright back, and nimble feet on the floor.  I was happy.  I think the broom would agree with me. 

I still did not have partner.  Awkward as I was in high school, it's painful.  When the music sounded in the great room, I stood there watching people perform.  I was aching to try, too shy to try.  I went to the side room.  There's a broom, the cleaning crew were waiting at the end of the dance night.  My eyes opened wide, My partner in crime!  I picked up and slowly, we waltzed, with an upright posture and nimble feet on the floor.  What are you doing?!  A girl saw everything!  I threw the broom down and looked.  A girl from a foreign land.  I know her.  I tutored her English in school library.  I...I...nothing...Bye!  Run away I go.  Shyness is not a crime, but I was wearing it and riddled with bullet holes.  The day came, the  night was gone.  I fear to see that foreigner on school property.  oh, no, I was a reasonable man, I could tolerate my youthful day of embarrassment. 

She said nothing at first.  As time went by, I was relieved.  Also a bit of disappointment.  Then she said, you can dance.  Why did not you come out and dance.  You were good.  I was...I was a bit relieved, also a bit embarrassed.  I looked at floor, and said, Nah...  I can only dance with a boom stick.  I never danced with a live human before.  But how could that be?  you look like a professional!  Oh, foreigners, what do they know?  a question mark in the heart, but it let a big grin escaped.  Nah...  really?  my damn ears.  they were red as a dead steaming lobster!  Would you like to teach me sometimes?  my eyes were fixed on the library carpet.  Cleaning lady needed to do a better job!  But a broom was not there.  I later found that beautiful foreigner as my partner.  I needed to be cautious.  I melted like cheese on the pizza crust, there's no resistance at all.  Oh, my heart flied, I let fancy rule the day.  I warned myself.  I will rue the day.  Three months were all I need.  She was upright in the back, and nimble on the floor.  I would look over my shoulder, broom seemed slim down a little.  But the day will come.  high school was eventually a dream hub. future was not here.  and yet, that was all I wanted to be.  we danced our last dance, kissed our last kiss, the foreign girl and I parted way.  

But it hurt me.  My future was broken.  I tried to lead, but my partner did not follow.  I let it go, for I did not want to be seen as a needy, unrealistic fool.  Yes, as realistic as I could ever imagined, I pick up a broom and never looked back once again.  You see, I dance with a broom stick.  As long as I stick with it, it will stick with me.  my beloved broom stick, let the moonlight shine, shine on my upright back, and on the floor, a shadow of me and broom, waltz through. 

No comments: