Wednesday, February 09, 2011

my borsch recipe

Preparation of the Stock:
Onion, 2 medium or 1 large
Bay Leaf, 1 piece
Any meat as you prefer, you can use bones as well.

Cook together for about an hour and half.
Pull out the meat, Onion, and bay leaf.
Or you could just leave the meat in there.
Cool it, so you could pick out fats.

Borsch:
Slice Beets.
Put Beets in the stock.
You can also add carrots, greased onions, tomatoes, and cabbage.
Few drop of vinegar, or lemon juice would be good too.
Finally Salt and Pepper to the taste.

It is served with some kind of cream like sour cream.
But I like the soup just the way it is.
Adding little bit of sour flavor is great though.

If I put in too many things besides beets, the color of the soup would not be as red, and the taste of beets would be compromised. Some may like it that way, But I prefer to have more beets flavor along with the deep dark red color of the soup. More pleasing to the eyes to me personally. I usually pull the Meat out after the stock is done. I am afraid of over cooked meat. Adding meat in later while the soup is hot is not a problem to me.

No comments: