Saturday, February 19, 2011

Afterthoughts about Che the movie 2008, part 1

Benicio del Toro started the film, Steven Soderbergh was the director. The movie was pretty good. del Toro was awesome. It does not matter to me what real Che looked like. Because when I was watching the film, I believed Che would act, speak, breath like del Toro's presence.

The ways the director present Che was quite interesting as well. It was like a question followed with an answer. The film started with an interview in black and white. After the interviewer asked a question, no matter if Che answered or not, the camera then moved into a segment where the answer was acted out in color in the time of revolution. By doing this, the director picked their favorite answer for the question. By doing this way, a hero emerged. Some of the accusations for being an assassin and butcher during revolution thus melted away.

For a person who knows so little about this part of history, I would rather be skeptic than trusting what I thought was presented to me. However, I cannot help being attracted to Che as a character presented in the movie. He was indeed a great personality. He was sharp in the interview, humble in front of Castro, respectful in front of the Cuban mass, but also knows how to lead them without losing principles.

I liked the film.

No comments: