Friday, February 11, 2011

chuck close

I watched the last episode of Charlie Rose's Brain series. Charlie Rose invited 2 artists to the table for the topic was about creativity. I was caught by one of the artists, Chuck Close saying that as an artist, he doesn't believe in inspiration. He said that artists cannot just wait for the inspiration to hit them like a lightening. He said that usually the way he works is to just start to work. Usually, along the way, something came up. It is like saying Action creates, doesn't matter if any idea formed beforehand or not. At the end, Charlie Rose asked, but there's still the question of why you guys are being you guys! There are tens of thousands artist out there. What makes you guys you? I do not remember a definite answer from all the people around that table. But I think does it matter? I do not see difference in these famous artists and a small child giddily creating whatever art. Other people's praise is some other people's business...

Something I feel I already know but lacked drive. I hate to say this. Rationality is useless for me here. I just want to be hugged to sleep and never get up again.

No comments: