Sunday, December 19, 2021

綠騎士觀後感含劇透

 I watched greenKnight recently.   I wasn't sure what the movie was really about.  I find it long and boring.  But the ending was interesting.  

Some movies are easy to understand, those movie usually has conversations or monologues to guide audience by revealing characters' thoughts and feelings, or plot points.  There are other movies reveal very little through words, rather, they prefer to do it by invoking audience's imaginations or thoughts through images.  It required audiences to observe, and find out what is really going on in terms of plots, character development and feelings, and most importantly, movie creator's intent.  I feel greenKnight is such a  movie.  

I really like this movie's atmosphere and cinematography, absolutely awesome.  I almost feel like it's a ghost story.  I feel there's always a dark and melancholy mood, fogged around the whole set.  And yet, the image in the movie is not blurry.   I am listening to the soundtrack now, and thinking, the music complement the image as well, eerie and ominous.  It stirred my mind and made me unease.  Just for ears and eyes, it felt like a ghost story.  But why?  Is it director's intention to make it this way?  Or it's just my feeling?  They used a lot of images or ways to manipulate images, which to me does not have immediate realistic connection with the story.  I guess the intention is to invoke something inside.  I think the feelings caused by those imageries was very very hard for me to describe.  I just could not understand some of the images, but they still make me  feel uncomfortable.  

It truly is about a coming of age film.  I think I understand what the journey represents, the trials, to make Gawain to see what he really is inside.  The the flashing of his life as a coward towards the end really drove the director's intention home for me.  That make the last line of the movie meaningful.  

Do I like the movie?  I still think it's too long.  But it's a well crafted movie.  I think if I know more about the Arthurian tale, I'd enjoy more.  But for now, I feel it's only okay.  


----

Somehow the movie made me think of different cultures that has the same scorn for death.  The ending of the movie showed Gawain's growth by accepting the result of his own choices, even if it brought him death.  


---------

I don't understand the intention of the green knight.  why the challenge?  and why does gawain's mother summoned him?  



No comments: