Monday, June 07, 2021

Beautiful day in the neighborhood movie afterthought

 I watched half of the news of the world a few weeks back.  It was a heart warming movie.   I think it pushed me to watch Beautiful day in the neighborhood.   Maybe I was caught by the heart warming part.  


The movie was quite engaging.  It was late, my plan was to watch it half way then finish it the next day.  But I finished it in one sitting.  

I think the casting has done an excellent job.  If any actor was less capable, the movie would immediately sink into a conventional generic goody goody nice bio-picture.  But no, Tom Hanks was excellent in the role, and the others as well.  In a way, many had outburst in the movie, but in a constrained manner.  There's an undertone among them.  

The way the director mingled the reality and imaginary was quite exquisite.  It reminds me of another movie, the secret life of walter mitty.  But the tone is totally different.  Walter used imagination to escape, the imaginary images used in this film somehow gave me a feeling of ultra-reality instead!  

The story was a personal one, but not about Mr. Rogers.  I guess it's befitting, I think the feeling I gathered about this Mr. Rogers, he would put kids as a protagonist in his own story.  Let them take center stage, he will be just a guiding force.  

 

No comments: