Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Movie that says so little

I saw a movie called, Arctic.

A very simple movie about a man stranded somewhere near Arctic Circle.  When a helicopter came to rescue him, the helicopter fell through the sky, leaving the pilot dead, and a woman rescuer disabled.  This man decided to take a long hike to bring the woman to safety, or else the woman would surely die.

There are only 2 characters, but only one mumbled occasionally.  Yet, the movie was so gripping, that I could not avert my eyes from it.  The only color was white through and through, but  landscape was so incredibly grand.  I wonder what's catching my attention?

The man was so calm, before the rescuers came.  There was only the element and a hint of a polar bear on the brink.  After the accident, the man showed a lot of compassion for the disabled woman.  He apparently was very capable in terms of survival.  But when the other human being showed up, although he did not show much emotions outwardly, his decision and actions spoke louder than anything.  He decided to hike towards a permanent camp while carried the woman along.  He had to trek in the snow, through storms, and attack of bear.  He had to change his course, taking a longer route, and endure injury and losing faith at times.

The movie was presented in such a subdued tone.  I felt such a realistic presentation of a man making a decision and followed through.  But the image really burnt in my head hard.

I myself was ashamed, because I know in so many turns of events, I kept thinking the man would have to give up and start to eat the woman.   I was so happy, I was wrong.  I guess I read so many stories about people eating people under the same situation.

I wonder why it's gripping.  With such simple sound, monotone graphic.  Deep down, I feel it's unbelievable.  But how much I wish it is true.  A man with great strength presented in the most ordinary fashion, under most strenuous situation; made a decision, followed through it.

It was one of the most elegant movie I've seen.

No comments: