Thursday, January 30, 2020

Frankenstein

Just finished reading it two days ago.  Here are some thoughts

Both Frankenstein and the creature are both depressed.  

It again reminded me of the question posted in Prometheus, Ridley Scott's Alien movie.  David asks why do you created me?  And the answer he got, simply because we can.  

The creature's movements really reminded me a lot of Chinese Wuxia novels.  I think the comparison of the Wugong Gaoshou(武功高手) and the Creature in some sense is uncanny.  They are both hard to detect; they are all very powerful; they traverse horizontally and vertically with speed and ease; they can all live in the wild.  The creature even laugh so loud that Frankenstein cannot see where he is!  But when it come to tool using, Wugong Gaoshou(武功高手) is the same as the creature, they need to use tools just like a human being.  They are not magical, like riding a flying broom.  

The writing is very 19th century.  It's very wordy, it uses a lot of words to describe a similar feeling again and again with different arrangements or different angles.  Sometimes it's redundant, but sometimes, it's interesting in that it present a mood, rich in feelings.  I feel that a lot of authors nowadays did the same thing on describing environment to set the mood.  But here, the author uses to describe deep psychology.  

The creature lamented he has deep feelings, is capable of higher thoughts, and even morals.  But all in all, it's nothing for the deeds he had committed.  I think it's something.  Both Frankenstein and the creature were indeed superb being, in an extraordinary situation.  

The story of creation really is very interesting.  Ridley Scott keeps coming back to the topic.  I feel Frankenstein is a story of innocence.  It's truly is a classic, not only because just the story subject.  But after I finished, I feel certain energy.  Unlike Ridley Scott's Prometheus, in which  I find the darkness of humanity, just like the theme I found in many Modern Chinese drama, dark, disgusting, human conspiracy.  Here however, I see the force of nature.  Yes, the creature was created by a human being.  But I feel Frankenstein some how infused part of himself in the creation!  When Frankenstein died, you can feel a sublimed form of a human being.  Even before his death, his oration was strong, clear, and idealized.  When the creature appeared, he realized the death of the creator was the beginning doom of his own fate.  The things he said was also rational and with strong conviction.  They are really one being of 2 sides.  

It's an incredible tale.  I am surprised though that I am patient enough to finish it.  I got from library app twice.  It started slow for me.  After the creation, it picked up.  The funny thing about it, is that I kind want to read in a physical book.  I went to library and searched, there's nothing.  So I asked the Service Desk, they found out that there were six copies, all lost!  Don't know what to say about it!  it's a classic, but there's no physical form in the library!  


No comments: