Saturday, November 28, 2015

park and world

I watched Jurassic World a couple weeks ago.  I enjoyed quite a bit.  I like Chris Pratt, he's naturally funny.  The other actor who has similar charisma is Nathan Fillion.  I liked the final fight in the movie as well.  While watching it, I kept thinking that I liked the first one better though.  I wondered why. 

I watched the first one again last night.  I like the first one better.  I think the first one was simpler in terms of scale and complexity.  The dino in the park was more animal like.  They were more raw.  I was simply awed, even for raptors.  But in the world, I felt a sense of guidance, an artificial intention.  The link between Pratt's character and raptor was a source of emotion, I felt moved, especially towards the end.  But it also create something more domesticated.  It's probably not avoidable since raptors has been in contact with human for so long.  The new Dino was not a dino anymore.  It's a monster.  In the park, SS, the director wanted to bring audience to see real dinos as real animals, he did not want to show  Godzilla or King Kong.  But it's kind reversed in the World.  Human created a monster instead of dino.  Thus, huge chasm between the Park and the World.

It could also be viewed as a hero movie.  To me, personally, a story of how a man becomes a hero seemed  always more interesting than a story about a Hero who was already a Hero, or even a fall of a Hero.  The rise of a hero brought hope and unknown future.  That future was exciting.  I guess the park has the same effect.  The World is not.  But it brought great nostalgia when the T-rex went on the roof and claimed his throne.  The world is a still very good story nonetheless. 

It's interesting to note that in the Park, I saw some local life.  But in the World, Dino was the main focus.  The other thing to be noted was that Carnivore battle is really the meat of the World.  It's also differed from the Park.  Of course, any huge dino fight was exciting, especially this well done, but still a huge piece of artificial direction.  I kept mentioning about Artificial intention, I think it's unfair.  I can' shake it off though.  It is clear that every frame was created by a human intention.  Its purpose is to hit audience, hoping they would resonant.  But, if I could feel that guidance, that means I, as an audience was not in the moment, instead, I was outside, looking in, and I could even see the hands controlling those puppet. 

I could even link this feeling with "the Tiger: a true story of Vengeance and Survival".  I still couldn't really express my awe from that book.  But the impression from the Park and the World did stir something in me that reminded of that book. 

No comments: