Sunday, March 06, 2022

最殘酷的月份感想和書鈔

 I just finished reading a book from author LouisePenny's series theCruellestMonth.  I am getting used to the characters in the story.  

Lately, I am jittery.  Really want to read a book or something.  Tried a few, but none really stick.  Then I kept thinking about the poems from previous books from LP.  Because I really liked the poems she used in those books.  Just when I started to look for a title, my libby reminders showed me that I have a hold due.  I completely forgot about the book I reserved half years ago.  I was getting tired of inspectorGamache when  I reserved it.  But it's perfect timing now, I want to get back to it.  Lucky me.  

The story was as usual with its small idyllic charm of small village, quirky villagers, and back story of Surete's political back drop.  I did not like the Surete's story line before, but I liked it better here.  For It's more flashed out this time, rather than a gimmick.  The story line became the center stage.  It was quite funny in many places.  There was less mysteries in the detective storyline, for I could almost guess who the murderer was.  It's more of a thriller from the Surete story line.  

There're less poems too.  I wish there're more.  But there are lots of good sentences to quote.  And the book used an interesting idea  I really like the near enemy thing.  I find it makes me think a little.  It means some emotions or intentions that looks virtuous, but actually self-serving.  Like compassion and pity, attachment and love, indifference and equanimity.  


Some quotes:

"'A killing frost', quoted Gamache, 'it nips his root.  And then he falls, as I do'" (from Shakespeare, King Henry VIII)

 "'Strange in Canada, we talk all the time about the one thing we can't control.  The weather.  We can't stop a killing frost and we can't stop the flowers from doing what they're meant to do.  Better to bloom even for an instant, if that's your nature, than live forever in hiding.'"

"Our secrets make us sick because they separate us from other people.  Keep us alone.  Turn us into fearful, angry bitter people.  Turn us against others, and finally against ourselves."

"How bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes"  (Shakespeare, As you like it)


No comments: