Monday, August 23, 2021

RelicHorrorMovieAfterThought

I knew the film while I was searching reviews of theFather on youtube and came across kermode's review.  He mentioned Relic in that video.  So I went and find it.  

I liked it, especially the ending.  But I did feel that the movie was long.  And in mid of it, I kind lost the point of the movie.  The acting of those actresses were exceptional.  And I really love the script, where every question became a stagger.  But until the ending started, I was so much in horror mode.  I am not sure how I should feel about the mother in the movie.  I came in the movie knowing it's about dementia, but the horror part of the movie seemed to overwhelm that part of the movie until the end.  I guess it made sense that people around dementia patient to feel that way, horror and confused,  not sure what to feel.  

But I have to say, stories using symbols and indirect elements are harder to grasp, both rationally and emotionally.  Audiences who really understand and appreciate it will always be small crowd.  In comparison to theFather, I'd say the approach of theFather is more direct.  Relic needs a lot of time to think about it.  If I did not know it's about dementia, I'd say it's just an above average horror movie.   By knowing in advance of the subject matter, I noticed more details and appreciated it much better.  

The actresses in those movies were especially good.  The performance was subtle and yet effective.  I read a review in rottentomatoes that the character developments in the movie in such a short time was well done.  I totally agreed.  The difference feeling towards the gran in the beginning started to shift towards the end.  And then the ending brought all of them in to a linear timeline.  It is great movie making.  

But would I go back and watch it?  Probably not.  Like the babadook, which was compared with Relic by many reviewers, I think they are very good movie.  But because the dreadfulness it brought during the viewing.  I think viewing once is good enough.  



No comments: