Tuesday, August 17, 2021

AQuietPlace part 2 afterthought-spoiler alert

 It's very good.  It's very very good.  Those are my afterthought, after watched twice.  

Excellent movie, it grabbed my attention from the get-go all the way to the end.  I still remember the first movie, especially the ending.  It was very tense most of part 1.  But the buildup towards the end and the final action was specially awesome, at least that's what I remembered.  The part 2 started from day 1 of the event and cut straight into the part 1 ending, it somehow brought a continuation without going into too much of part 1.   I thought that was a clever way to move audience along.  I saw a lot of TV drama with 2nd part, which usually started with complete narration of what happened in the last episode.  This transition is refreshing and engaging.  

I saw a review saying the beginning of part 2 is Spielberg-esque, which is awesome!  I think so too.  

I felt the tension was again never let up.  There's no funny moment, there's no quirks.  It's fast paced, even in the middle section, which I read some reviewers felt it dragged in the middle.  But to me, the director cutting back and forth between family members and sometimes two panels side by side, using the same soundtrack, I felt the anticipation of something to happen on all sides kept me very busy.  I knew something might've happened but with three threads going at the same time, the tension was created by pulling from all sides.  That was excellent direction.  

The cast was awesome.  No one is wasted, they all filled their roles to the fullest.  And really have to give to millicentSimmonds.  She's awesome.  cillianMurphy too.  I mentioned these two, because they pushed the plot into new front.  The other cast created a supportive role, I felt.  The interaction between mS and cM was another source for uncertainty in the beginning.  I have to say, casting cM was awesome.  I always feel he has this quality of uncertainty on his face.  I can never tell if he's going to be evil, or good.  Casting done right...  

I wish there're more movies like this, I want to learn sign language from this movie.  

I saw a review talking about that diversity in this movie was not enough.  I dreaded to hear those words...  Why not mentioning gender equality was splendid in the movie...  Or...maybe it's not either?  When an artist started to think political correctness, something is always lost during the process, and became artificial, fake.  I believe future generation will created more racial diverse gender equal movie, not because we purposely put those in the movie.  But because we lived in such society.  Understand this, movie like literary, let it reflect reality.  I've seen political correctness ruined movies, or arts.  Just go watch communist movies, or patriotic propaganda movies.  They were so restricted, there're always things they cannot say, due to political correctness.  Or rather, don't use political correctness to criticize movies...  le sigh  

No comments: