Sunday, February 14, 2021

First time reading through a book

 This is an easy book to read really.  But somehow I don't really like it.  I felt it's all the rehashed ideas, phrases, and reasonings.  But apparently my mom loved it.  She immediately read through twice.  I wonder why the difference between her and I?  

The first reading through was kind a leafing through process.  Now I am going to read it again in these 2 days.  Just to find out what I've missed.  

My first impression like I phrased, it was rehashed ideas and phrases, plus reasonings.  But the problem is I'd love watching hero movies again and again, how  come I don't like to read this kind books.  I guess because I could not feel exhilarations?  

So many descriptions here reminded me of my grandpa.  Grandpa always wants to tell his story, like Morrie; unlike Morrie, grandpa's story was always how wealthy his family used to be, or how he as a young seaman working on ships; or he help setup the telephone system in the Japanese branch office while he was working in Japan, all by himself, though he has no prior knowledge of telephone system.  Morrie, on the other hand seemed to talk about about  values, how we face the death, but he did mention he want to talk about his story which is grandpa did too.  Morrie wanted to meet people and talk; grandpa was afraid to meet strangers at the end of his life, but he certainly wanted company, just company he preferred.  Morrie's death description so reminded me of how I saw my grandpa went as well.  The smile, no words, red face.  That noiseless silence at the end of life.  

Talking about death somehow made me visualize the whole thing.  And my mind just could not escape that scene.  

I will read through it again though.  I understand the strength the book wanted to give, and like many other similar books, RandyPausch's last lecture and PaulKalanithi's when breath became air came to mind, I keep wanting to get something out of them, I don't seemed to able to do it...  



No comments: