Friday, January 01, 2021

WW民國七三 afterthought

 I watched the wonderwoman1984 last night.  It was a fun 2 and half hours.  It filled with technical difficulty, funny commentary, and another disappointment movie.  I had a good time though.  People getting together watching disappointing movies and making funny remarks, I felt it's becoming a trend.  LOL!!  Also want to mention, I put this movie on the same level as Mulan2.  

The first thing we encountered was the sound.  Somehow the sound was not clear, we kept turning the volume up.  And then we constantly trying different sound modes this TV set offered.  Movie sound, music sound, etc...  On top of that, we had to turn the volume down in some parts of the movie because it was too loud, and the location was an apartment.  It was not ideal.  But the setting felt more liberated to make comments, that's a plus.  And you were surrounded with friends, so they were more tolerating.  LOL.  The commentary was hilarious.  From beginning mall scene, we just cannot leave the intentional cheesy 80's vibe go.  And the "wholesome" family experience it provided.  The whole time I was trying to make a funny comment, I only succeeded  at the end, when the the Kristen showed up as an "Apex predator".  I had to yell out thunder cat, she literally looked like one!  

This movie was so convoluted.  The movie wanted to create a hero so personal, that audience can feel for her.  The movie want to create a villain or villains that audience can sympathize with.  Those are not bad ideas.  But during execution, the appearance of Christ's character was really weird.  And his impact was minimal in solving the second strand of plot.  Yet his screen time was at least 1/2 of the movie.  Way too long, but I could hardly call it un-necessary.  Because the severance was quite impactful.  You can't be without it, and yet it dragged the movie rhythm down.   

The second strand of the plot was the normal hero/villain line.  And does it serve the purpose?  I think so.  And the only reason I said it worked was only because the amazing performance of the the Mandalorian actor.  He's simply the best part of the movie.  GG was awesome in the movie.  But like I said the director/screenwriter did not really mesh the two strands of the plot smoothly.  I felt her connection with the villains was weakened significantly.  But Pedro really shone here.  Using a chinese phrase, 「收放自如".  The cheetah was important, but I felt it's a lost opportunity.  


I wish it could cut the screen time of Chris but find way to increase his impact, and please don't use this weird using other person's body method...  It's not all disappointment though.  The last speech from the hero was not a bad one, I quite liked it.  It was calm and filled with self realization.  It was a surprise and a good one.  I feel the effort in making the movie.  But it's not quite there to director's expectation, and neither to mine as well.  

No comments: