Sunday, January 24, 2021

黑暗神聖的夜讀後感

 Dark Sacred Night Afterthought

Plot:

Renee Ballard and Harry Bosch teamed up to solve a cold case.  Along the way, they solved other crimes as well.  


Thought:

Just finished reading last night,  hardly put it down.  I've already borrowed it once, but I was tired of Bosch series at that point.  So I skipped it after 32% of reading.  This time I blew through the beginning portion fairly quickly.  I guess I started to flip through some other parts as well, knowing what I want to read, what I don't want o read helps to speed things up.  

I like Renee, like Bosch said she's 1 in 100, the real detective material.  Not only she cares about the case but also has a knack on what's important to the case; and she has the grit to follow through the case as well.  The problem with these kind of story really is that everybody here has a dark background, no real family or other relationships except working colleagues.  The world is very bleak and narrow here.  But I have to say Renee and Bosch works well.  They shared something in common.  Bosch is a lot older, Renee has her own experience as well.  They both are detective material and leadership type of people.  They communicate on the same level.  

There are quite a number of cases here.  And yet the central theme of the novel is always on point, never spin out of control.  That speaks of the author's ability to tell a multi threads story.  And Renee is an interesting representative of the female in a male dominated field.  The view of a female was consistent and persistent but never overwhelming.   I also liked the ending.  I felt it's a clever way to put Bosch's internal struggle into a real world action.  Like it said at the end, bend the rules but not break them.  

The ending reminds me of the serial killer in Devil in the White City.  And I think it's a convenient ending.  Author writes a pretty intense scene so I do like the ending.  But how it find this person is quite abrupt.  But I guess it could be real as well...  

No comments: