Sunday, October 11, 2015

rockclimbing

I finally went to rock climbing today.  Since two years ago that I know there're climbing gyms around my area, I finally got to do it. 

For the past few weeks I was trying to get some colleagues to go to the gym, mainly CJ, George...  But it's a hard process.  It's hard to coordinate schedule, mostly.  George also had reservation about such strenuous activity.  I don't have clue how rock climbing really is.  But George's wife expressed interest...so, there he goes, I guess.  CJ wanted to bring his brother, but his brother is working at CVS.  He also wanted to make sure that it's worth to use a personal day.

So I decided to try it out before getting them all involved.  I talked to my sister, we decided to go together on Sunday afternoon.    And instead of Woburn, we went to the one in Everett.  It's bigger than the Woburn gym, My bother in law said.  We need to sign the waiver to get in, I read a little and was surprised to see that even if the equipment failed, it's still not gym's fault!  It sounds scary.  But anyway, I was already there, gotta gathering the courage.  We decided to do auto belay and boulder. 

I got on the auto belay and got on to the top in my first try.  But it was coming down that's scared me.  At first I was trying to climbing down.  I got tired.  However, to let the auto belay get me down, I was really scared, I hate the sensation of falling.  I was struggling while breaking with the auto belay.  I landed facing out instead of facing the wall.  Then I went to bouldering.  This one does not need ropes, the height is shorter, but still you need a thick pad down below, so it can break your fall. I somehow felt less stress with it.   So I did bouldering for a quite a while, then April and her husband came to look for me.  Then we went to do some more auto belaying.   However, this time, it's really hard for me.  Because I could not climbing a single one successfully.  My forearms were stiffed up, could not exert too much power when that happened!  I tried another 3 auto belay courses, all failed.  I can still so bouldering though. 


After about 2 hours, we went to April's home to have hot pot. 

It was fun!  But I have doubts that George and CJ would enjoy it... Maybe CJ's bother would. 

No comments: