Saturday, February 19, 2022

Xiaohu 走了

 My cousin's dog 小虎 passed away a couple days ago.  I just read about it yesterday.  I cannot imagine how devastated they are right now.  It takes a lot of more effort to take care a dog than a cat.  And this dog was special to my cousin.  My cousin was in a special program for 10 year martial art disciple-ship.  小虎 started the program with him in 2008.  They lived in a mountain really remote from the usual life my cousin was accustomed to.  All kinds of people came and went, either for the program, or they were seeking trainings.  Very few things remained constant in the mountain, 小虎 was one of those dependable faces.  After 10 years was up, my cousin got his 師父's permission to bring the dog with him back to Massachusetts.  That's where I got a chance to really interact with 小虎。  

He was a unique dog.  I think he must've meditated some in those 10 years.  My cousin said when they brought him to the park, he never interact with other dogs.  It seemed he thought he was a human as well, 不屑 interact with other canine.  The most interesting thing about him was he was very expressive.  His emotion was so visible, and he had his own desire, but he was so well behaved.  He would look at you and understand what you want.  He can even let you know what he want with a look.  I walked him once, wanting to bring him pass a bridge.  But the bridge was made for cars, with metal bars as flooring.  His reaction was plain visible that he did not want to step on the bridge.  I tried to find another way around but afraid if he could tolerate any more walking.  So I carried him across the bridge.  The other things about him was he was never shy from any people.  He's always friendly, excited to see everyone.  It must have be the training from the mountain.  Because lots of people visited the mountain over that 10 years, 小虎 was used to people almost all the time.  Though of course, he had his favorite humans, my cousin and his wife.  

The quirk about him was that he would not stop barking in the car.  I heard the story when my cousin and his wife drove across the USA in 2018 when they finished their 10 year program.  Then I saw it with my own eyes when one Christmas, they invited me to NH for a weekend.  小虎 just barked most of the way.  I thought he was afraid, but he was also excited.  I even shot a picture of him and my cousin side by side, with the caption saying, "will you be my friend forever?  Of course.  What do you ask of me?  No barking in the car?  NO!"  

Later last night, after I got the news.  I was kind disturbed.  I felt deep sadness.  It's a feeling I wish no other pet owners should experience.  But it's inevitable.  I kept referring to a Kipling's poem, 


"兄弟姊妹們,
聽我來相勸;
勿將心許狗,
由他撕成片。
            --魯雅。吉卜寧"


But how can we not love them?  It's not just their innocence, but pure joy when we are with them.  Let it be known, the death of a dear one will toil our heart, but after a while, I so wish it will make the love in our heart stronger.  So that we will be able to love even more.  

No comments: