Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Vic and door

There is a 2 panel door between warehouse and engineers' office.  It's been dysfunction-ed lately which cannot stay closed.  I noticed the problem a while ago.  I even fancied myself to find the solution for it.  But I merely just looked at the latch bolt, strike, and lip.  The latch bolt was very far away from both strike and lip.  I kept looking at latch, strike, and lip without noticing other places.  With that rate, I gave up easily.  I can't think of a way to pull both doors closer so latch would touch strike.  

Sofya asked me to ask Vic to fix the door a few weeks ago.  I must have forgotten to tell Vic.  Sofya asked me today again.  So I bring Vic's attention to it since it's pretty light today.  When Sofya was telling me about the door, she had an interesting observation, that the crack between two door panels were not even.  It's closer on the top and further apart towards the bottom.  Immediately I thought that must be because when I park the pallets along the wall, it's easy to push into the wall sometimes.  And the door frame that attached to that side of the wall must moved by the impact.  However, Sofya doubted it.  Right now, I doubted it too.  Because Vic and I dead bolted big wooden log along the wall to prevent the impact. 

Anyway, Vic went and took a look as I was telling him Sofya's observation about the crack.  He agreed with the observation.  At the same time, kept looking at the door frame, and soon noticed a strike mark under one of the door panel.  Something must have clicked in his head.  He asked for the small piece of metal, which he found at a nearby table.  Once he made sure it's a defected parts, he used that metal piece and put between one of the door panel near the bottom hinge against the frame, and jammed the door panel on the metal piece a few times.  It's not a fast movement, more like a squeeze.   After about three times, the doors latched on with each other.  That was quite amazing to me.  I even told Anne later.

A few things I noticed, one is that when I tried to find the problem, I did not notice the uneven crack.  I merely looked at the most obvious problem, latch and strike.  The other thing was that I also made a conclusion on why things what happened.  Even now, I still don't know how this happened.  But the problem was solved!

Most interesting.  What can I learn from this?  I like to gather a lot of data before I make a choice, especially when I buy things.  But when facing a problem, I don't spend enough time to observe, or I just narrowed my attention to the most obvious problem, or the most shallow one.  Then, finding a reason seemed to somehow satisfied me.  It seemed that once  I had a reason, I could ignore the problem?!  lol!

Most interesting!  

No comments: