Friday, November 25, 2016

wolf children movie thought

This movie is interesting.  I feel that it is a sad movie. I think the premise of the movie is interesting.  A mother raised two wolf children, who had a hard time to decide what they want to be, human or wolf.  The mother had to study both human and wolf in able to raise the kids.

After watching it, I have a weird feeling that some Japanese movies emphasize on letting things go very strongly.  Especially with Japanese animation.  I always have this tremendous feeling of linger after watching many of their animations.  But sometimes, I felt it was forced.  It's unnatural.  Unnatural is such a strong word, maybe too forceful would be more properly describe what I feel. 

There are two kids in the movie,  one is a girl, the other is a boy.  Girl chose to be human in the end, vice versa for the boy.  The mother showed great effort trying to hold on to him. But in the end,  put a smile on her face, symbolizing her let go of her son.  I just feel a tremendous sorrow for her.  Because she put forth such effort to raise him.   The boy is weak of the two, she always put more effort on him than his sister.  Suddenly, he's gone, and left her without a some form of giving back.  What I see is a Mother's tremendous love, but nothing from her son.  The only thing I'd say is that her son is growing up, she's certain about it.  The sister on the other hand chooses to be human.  But when the emotion flared up, she resorted to the wolf form.  Her mother always warned her about that side of herself.  So when an incident happened, the confident inside of her waned.  And this hiding adds tremendous pressure on her shoulder.  But her mother did not have to worry about her.  She comes to terms with is in the end.  The movie is narrated by the girl. 

I am writing so far, and could not but think to myself.  How do I come to such thoughts?  Because for these two days, I am in despair.  Every holiday season is like this.  What I am thinking is how come my sister can act upon her desire, although it might estrange the relation with Mom.  But is this observation correct?  I don't act upon my Mom's desires.  I don't act upon my own either.  The only thing left to act upon is basic instinct.  But is this observation correct? 


A movie like this cannot be viewed as merely entertainment.  But since it cannot be just entertainment, I doubted I'd go back and watch it again...  Kind heavy... 

No comments: