Monday, December 24, 2012

a journey started

I just finished the hobbit an expected journey.  It was not as good as the fellowship of the ring.  I don't mind the settings looked like the lord of the ring trilogy.  But I felt the story of the unexpected journey was stretched thin.  I felt, as my sister felt, that many action sequences were mere filler for the whole story.  As an action adventure it was fun, but what I was expecting was a bit stronger and thicker. 

As for some of the humor in the movie, I felt they were mostly cheesy.  I did cracked up here and there.  Maybe I should not expect too much here, for this is merely a kid's reading.  And from the previous series, Director Jackson's comical sense was already not his best point. 

I did enjoy some of the scenes.  I loved the dwarf song, it gave me a sense of deep mythology and a thick air of sadness along with determination.  The Gollum and Bilbo scene was immensely gripping.  I think it was due largely to Gollum's credit.  And the scene where Gandalf saved the dwarves in the mountain plus the escape scene after was quite entertaining. 

I think that Director really knows how to pick his actors.  Most of the cast were befitting to each of their own roles.  I mentioned this is because I think it's incredibly important to cast actor in to a fitting character.  By doing so, even non consequential dwarf members can still manage to be remembered.

All in all, I did prefer Director condense the story.  But the final verdict will have to come after the whole series came to an end.  To me, I love the fellowship of the rings.  But the other two in the series was almost forgettable, except some scenes.   Here, I wonder if it really necessary to expand the story into a trilogy?  I hope Director would surprise me next with a better movie, and ended with a best movie in the series.  

No comments: