Sunday, November 13, 2011

shooting form

Shooting basketball is not easy. I learned from Steven Wong and other basketball skill books about using legs to push the ball to the proper height. And yet, I could still not shoot the ball from 3 point line. Roger said it might be a psychological thing. He said he has the same obstacle.

I am still searching for a better form. My latest thoughts on the shooting form is that legs are the main factor for ball's vertical height from the ground; shooting arm is the main factor to push the ball to the basket horizontal wise. The realization of this kept me thinking about my arms and hands. I felt when shooting from afar, the position of your elbow is critical. If the elbow of the shooting hand rises too high when the legs just started to launch from a lowering position, it severely handicapped the energy transferred from legs. It is because of the restrain of the shoulder movements, some energy will be lost.

The best option now is to find a way to relax the upper body when shooting the ball. One pointer to remain relaxed is to consciously keep the elbow parallel to the ground before the legs jumped off the floor.

No comments: