Sunday, February 25, 2024

智慧手機之前是怎樣的

 I am always a late adopter.  I remember when I first came to the email, I thought to myself, why?  What's the use of this?  I also remember my sister talked to people online to the deep night during high school era(maybe after high school... not sure).  She learned to type Chinese really fast using ㄅㄆㄇ back then.   Me, I am always ambitious, I said I want to learn 倉頡, which I did and was okay in speed.  But it's been such a long time, I've already forgot how to use it.  

At high school, a lot of people were already crazed about technology, programming.  I remember some people even used their Texas Instrument Calculator to code and write their own games.  But I only heard it and never saw it  My friend Eric was a computer nut.  His idol then was Sony's CEO.  He's the first one I saw putting computer together from ground up.  He made one for us too.  But for all these, I don't seemed to be interested in technology much.  Except video games.  

I've always want to play video games, seeing other people having fun with it all around me.  We played Mario at 小寶外婆家, watching him play 光榮三國志 at his place.  I seldom play games in middle school, because my mom disapproved it, and so was many of my classmates' parents.  Then when we came here, I saw Roger played streetfighters.  I was impressed, and so was my mom.  Roger was such a good kid.  My mom got a Super Nintendo from Taiwan when she came back.  Sadly, I did not play a lot of nintendo games, that's sort of a trend for me, interested in something then forget about it.  Then there's Sky who showed me the most popular computer RPG game from Taiwan at the time, 仙劍奇俠傳.  But that did not stick either.  Weirdly, what sticks was the PC typing game and civil war games I played at my uncle's house.  I also saw Final Fantasy VIII at Tony's place, where Sky was friend with for a time.  Oh, I almost forgot, there was my cousin's play station.  We had a good memory of Metal Gear Solid and Bushido Blade.  And don't forget the other cousin at Texas, he had a nintendo64, I played Zelda Ocarina of time.  But weird enough, I did not join the computer games during my high school era, because the craze among my high school mates were starcraft, which was played by Henry, Dan, and others.  I guess at the time, the only thing I was really interested was basketball.  


Later when I went to the college.  I was alone.  The technology was still not anything to me, excepts downloads.  There are a lot of stuff to download for free.  That period of time was the first time I was totally left alone.  I could not help but attracted to the pc games.  I do not know why.  I think the magazine I got from Henry somehow made me obsessed.  Especially after I played a couple demos, Oni, Shogun Total War, Outcast, Sacrifice, King's quest 8, Prince of Persia Sands of Time...etc.  Almost all the games I mentioned was from that Magazine!  That Magainzine was in Chinese.  


After I quit college, movies and video games, mainly Total War, filled my time.  It was a strange time, because in my memory, only video game, movies, and cats.  All the others are a blurr.  I did not have friends in the physical world, only online.  There are very good communities in form of forum.  I especially remembered a forum called avant or something like it.  I participated in it, because it was a small circle of players.  Then there's the total war community, I played a lot of medieval total war.  A lot of them are European players.  I learned some European history there.  


Besides video games, I did not have much technology experience.  I don't really have a cell phone, until later, which was not a smart phone.  I did however built a pc from ground up with the help of my brother in law.  Then I build another one for my cousin.  The spec for both of those pc were mediocre at best.  But it was a fun experience.  

My sister on the other hand is always an early adopter.  She and I bought our first digital camera, it was a canon elph with 5x lens zoom.  I think we bought it after we got our cats.  I did not have a digital camera, so the first group of pictures of my cat were taken by my cousin Mimi.  Then after that my sister and I decided we need one too.  But just like before, I did not use it much.  The evidence of me wasting a camera is the amount of cat pictures I took which is not much.  Such a regret, but now my regret is even bigger, because after I got my first cell phone, I started to shoot a lot.  I thought I don't need that camera anymore and ebayed.  I regret a lot, because I kind want to learn to shoot using camera now.  I am not able to find similar one with viewfinder...  



No comments: